Sustrans 9 Essex & Thames Estuary Cycle Map
Essex & the Thames Estuary Cycle Map
This area map shows the National Cycle Network and local routes in this area. It covers the Essex & Thames area of the East of England, including Colchester, Clacton-on-Sea, Basildon, Gravesend, and Sheerness.
Essex's gently rolling landscape is a place of contrasts. The noise and industry of the Thames Estuary opens out into 350 coastal miles of hidden sandy beaches and vibrant seaside towns with mudflats and estuaries attracting protected bird species and rich in wildlife. Essex is said to be England's oldest county so look out for the tallest Tudor Gatehouse in England, the historic Roman town of Colchester, and some ancient castles.
This pocket-sized colour map shows clearly mapped on-road and traffic-free paths, easy to read contours, and detailed inset maps for the major towns and cities as well as recommended linking routes connecting the NCN with quiet roads. The map also features 5 day rides with directions and a description of the area, highlighting key cycle routes, local history and places of interest.
Major cycle routes covered by this map:
- National Route 1 (North Sea Cycle Route) between Harlow and Colchester via Chelmsford.
- National Route 11 between Stansted Mountfitchet and near Wendens Ambo.
- National Route 13 between Basildon and Colchester
- National Route 16 between Bishop's Stortford and Witham via Braintree (including The Flitch Way).
- Regional Route 50 between Quendon and Maldon.
- National Route 51 between Colchester and Harwich.
- Heron Trail- loop off Route 1 north of Gillingham
Published: April 2015
Size: 10 x 15 cm folded, 60 x 80 cm unfolded
We Also Recommend
Coast and Castles South NN1C Newcastle - Edinburgh Sustrans Cycle Route Map